Monday, September 13, 2010

MAMA


A mother is a biological and/or social female parent of an offspring. Because of the complexity and differences of a mothers' social, cultural, and religious definitions and roles, it is challenging to define a mother to suit a universally accepted definition.

(here's my definition - somewhat)
From the day I was conceived
You have lived to make my life
A living bliss
A blessed experience
A journey of love, laughter and joy
A lesson that love, pure love,
Will not only bring my heart joy
But also allow me proximity and intimacy with my Creator.

You allowed God to have His way in me
When you, carrying the body that would house my soul,
Prayed for my well being...
My successes, my prosperity, my health...
You, all my life, have carried me in you...
With you
Wherever you went
In the late hours of the night, you looked upon my countenance
And let love flood you and overflow unto me...
In the early hours of the morn, while I lay asleep,
You prayed for and with me,
Speaking life beyond that which you had already given me

You looked beyond my childhood folly
You saw beyond my youthful stupidity
You looked at me, my soul, and saw a woman
Well groomed, well trained
Brought up under the shadow of God’s mighty wing
You saw a matriarch
Trained up and prayed up in the Word of God Almighty
You looked into my soul, using my eyes as a door
And showing me that your eyes are the mirror to which I can run
To remind myself of that reflection,
The image of what the Lord spoke to you when you first carried me

You have watched me blossom, and many a times in pain
You have watched me struggle
As I learnt the hurt that comes with freedom
And the pain that accompanies dependence
You have let me learn my lessons
And also taught me yours
You have shared your pains with me and your joys and celebrations too
You have made your heart a salubrious* home for mine
And have translated that heart into the home I have always loved and call mine

Where would I be without the love of God expressed by and through you?
What would I have become had you not allowed God into your heart?
Where would I turn had you not shown me that indeed the Lord loves me so?
What would my dreams be had you not prayed that they be according to His will?

I thank you
For the life you’ve given
For the love you’ve shown
For the patience, the kindness, the selflessness,
The truth, the protection, the trust,
The hope, the perseverance...
I thank you
For the life you’ve spoken
For the love you’ve shared
For seeing the perfect in my imperfections
The innocence in my sin
I thank you
For the late nights spent loving me
For the hours dedicated to teaching me
For the pain with which you corrected me
For the courage with which you girded me
I thank you
For the family I too will one day grow
For the living ‘How-To and How-Not-To’ book you are
For the memories formed and still to come
For the pride with which I can look at you
And the love with which I can smother you
I thank you
For the life
For the love
I thank God for you...

Dedicated to my loving and lovely mother, Lephepelo Lulu Oratile Dhladhla (nee Mokorosi).
Indeed the Lord has loved me so (oratile) by giving me you. I LOVE YOU TOO!
Prov 31:28 >HER CHILDREN ARISE AND CALL HER BLESSED<

1 comment:

  1. i've once told Make tht she is the most important person in my life, and when i told someone this, she said; tht should never change...indeed she has done so much for us babygirl.

    ReplyDelete